What kind of termites are most common in the Lake Norman area?
In the Huntersville/ Lake Norman area, the vast majority of termites we see are Eastern subterranean termites. They swarm in the spring but can potentially be active all year-round. They are a creamy translucent color, approximately 1/8 inch long, and they do not have wings.
Where should I look for termites?
- Crawl spaces
- Any wood in your basement or near ground level
- Anywhere that concrete touches wood on the ground level
- Wood fencing or posts
- Old tree stumps near the home
What can I do to prevent termites?
- Eliminate wood to soil contact
- Remove any rotting wood including tree stumps
- Repair any leaky faucets or pipes
- Move wood piles as far as possible from your home
- Seal any cracks in the exterior of your home
- Schedule yearly inspections and monitoring of your home